Understanding Li, Li_dot and grad_Li

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Eugene Valassakis, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Hello,

I am trying to better understand the actuation model in Mujoco, and I am specifically referring to this section of the documentation:
    upload_2019-10-9_15-15-47.png

Apologies if I am missing something obvious, but I have some trouble understanding Li, grad_Li and Li_dot (what they mean, and the difference between them).

Here is my understanding/ confusion regarding those quantities:
    1) Li is the length or position of the actuator (from http://www.mujoco.org/forum/index.php?threads/simple-position-servo.3389/#post-4715) : What does this mean? What is the difference from say the joint position qpos for instance? I am confused because in the XML we do not define a position for the actuator, so what does position mean here?
    2) Li_dot is the velocity of the actuator? Again not sure what this means here? So if we just create a velocity actuator this will be a propositional controller in velocity with gain k_v?
    3) Grad_Li(q) is a scalar that will scale the actuator force pi of actuator i to give a force applied to the joint q, and which depends on the geometric properties of your model: Is that correct?

I would appreciate any help with this very much, and please let me know if I am mistaken in some of my understanding above!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 5:58 AM