Invalid computer id when using result of getid_linux on docker contain

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by bukysun, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Hi! I download the file getid_linux and run it on my docker contain(ubuntu) and I get a computer id "LINUX__095".But when I sent this id to Roboti LLC to generate the activation key, it told me this id is not invalid. Is there any limit for docker contain?

Thanks!

Karl Zhang likes this.
  2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

There is no explicit limitation, but apparently the way MuJoCo gets the hard disk serial number to generate a computer id is not working on docker. It works on other virtual machines, but I have never tested it on docker so I really don't know what is going on there. I will put it on the todo list for future releases. In the meantime, just use some other Ubuntu installation.

Note that trial and personal activation keys are hardware-locked, but institutional keys are not, so this will not be an issue. If you are working for an organization that is considering an institutional license, send me an email and I will generate a 30-day unlocked key for you.

Karl Zhang likes this.
  3. Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  4. Emo Todorov

Should be chmod, not chmox.

You are right, I should add this to the documentation. My assumption was that the people who choose to live with the inconvenience of Linux are command-line pros and this would be obvious to them, like clicking an icon to open a file in Windows (which is why I use Windows :)

5. Edited. Thanks. And now you know to always bear in mind, there's always some people (like me) that are very new to Linux :)

6. Hi, I am on Slackware 14.2 and I also get invalid computer ID when I use the result of getid_linux (the result is `LINUX__095` ). I am using a student licence. How should I proceed? I don't want to install a separate OS just because of this. Will it work if I just use the serial number of my disk which can be found with this command `sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdX`? I am scared to try it in order not to make my license useless?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  7. Emo Todorov

If getid_linux does not work, then the software will not work either. There are ways to get hardware info with sudo, but I don't want MuJoCo to require sudo, so the license manager is limited to what can be done without it.

8. I have a feeling that the problem is related to the fact that I have an SSD which is recognized as nvme device (/dev/nvmeX) rather than a SATA device (/dev/sdX). Is there any way I can make it work by modifying my filesystem so that the necessary information is made available to MuJoCo? Thanks!

9. Emo Todorov

I doubt there is anything you can do on your end; modifying the file system is likely to create a mess. I will look into this in the next release.