getId on cluster

Discussion in 'MuJoCo Pro Bug Reports' started by madvn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Hi,

I am student and I am trying to use mujoco on my account on the department cluster that is running Linux. Running the getId_linux gives me LINUX__095 as my computer id but that seems to be invalid. Please let me know how I can go about registration.

Thanks,
    madvn

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

The hardware locking mechanism does not work on some clusters, including yours apparently. The only solution is to ask the department to purchase an Academic Individual license for you -- the activation key for that license is unlocked and you can use it anywhere.

3. I am in the same situation, and have a question in reaction to the suggested solution.
    Would the presence of one license file (from the Academic Individual type) in my home directory on a cluster enable me to run jobs using several nodes of the cluster corresponding to separate physical machines? e.g. mpirun on 100+ cpus across the cluster

Thanks

4. Emo Todorov

MuJoCo is an SDK. The first function you should call is mj_activate(filename) where you pass the path to the activation key. This is the only information that will be used by the built-in license manager. You can have different keys on the same computer; as long as you pass the path to the correct key, the others do not interfere in any way. If you are running on a cluster, each machine must be able to see the file system where the activation key is. So if you have a shared file system, all machines can use the same copy of that file.

If you are using MuJoCo with one of the third-party Python wrappers, you should find out where the wrapper looks for the activation key.

5. tor

tor

Hi Emo:

So one possible solution is to buy: Commercial Individual License.
    But the page: https://www.roboti.us/license.html says:
    This license allows one individual user to use the software on up to 3 computers. ......the activation keys are unlocked, and the organization is responsible for compliance with the license terms.

And a cluster can be more than 3 computer (multiple nodes).
    So, will the Commercial Individual License work on such cluster?
    If so, then the statement: "... up to 3 computer' is unnecessary", cmiiw.

Thank you,
    tor

6. Emo Todorov

The Commercial Individual license will work on clusters because the activation key is unlocked. The license agreement says that you can only run it on 3 computers. The activation mechanism will not stop you from running it on more computers, but you will be violating the terms of the agreement if you do that. Which is why the agreement has to be signed by the organization -- the idea is that the organization's lawyers will remind the engineers to respect the terms.

I recently eliminated this license type for academia, and may also eliminate the commercial version in the future, thus making unlocked keys available for group licenses only. But for now the Commercial Individual license is available.